Friday 23 November 2012

Lazy 15 Nail Challenge - Day 10 Underwater Creatures/Mythical Water Creatures

Today is day 10 of the Lazy 15 Challenge and the theme is Underwater/Mythical Underwater Creatures.
I knew as soon as I saw it I was going to do mermaid nails. I toyed with the idea of octopus/kracken nails, but I just kept coming back to mermaids.






I wanted to give the effect of looking up from under the water at the mermaid against the light, as if she was spotted by some scuba divers or something. I'm fairly certain I'm not describing it very well but hopefully you catch my drift!

I started by applying a gradient over a base of Barry M Matt White.
For the gradient I used a piece of kitchen sponge as usual. On the ring and middle fingers I added Barry M Matt White to the top right/left corners then Barry M Pure Turquoise and Rimmel London 60 Second Nail Polish in Sky High which is a bright teal.
On the pinky, index and thumb I just did a normal gradient of the Pure Turquoise and Sky High.
When that had dried, I mixed a little Pure Turquoise and Matt White and used it on the two middle fingers lightly with a bit of acetone to make the lights rays coming through the water, then roughly at the top of the other three nails to look like light reflecting off the surface of the water.
Next I did the shape of the mermaid in Matt White, then mixed Matt White, Grey and Black, all by Barry M, to do the shading.
To finish I used China Glaze Fairy Dust on the pinky, index and thumb for a little sparkle then topcoated with Seche Vite.

Unfortunately the greeny teal shade of Sky High doesn't show up in the photos, which is a pain as it gives a bit of depth. But other than that I am in love with this one, I'd totally keep it on all weekend if I wasn't going out tomorrow evening!

Hope you all have a fab weekend!

♥ A ♥

12 comments:

  1. This mani is beautiful! I love it - awesome skills :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh god these are freaking AMAZING! I feel so weird not having mine posted yet cuz I haven't gotten a chance to do them -_- But I hope they are half as amazing as yours!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are so pretty, i dont no how you do it!:)

    http://laurenlovesmakeupxoxo.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that is gorgeous! Love how subtle the mermaid is :)

    xx Ellie
    www.ellalogy.com 

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is stunning! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. So gorgeous! I would never be able to do that!
    Beauty by T

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so cool! Every time I see the word cracken, I say " RELEASE THE CRACKEN!" in my head, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is wonderful & very beautiful. You did a fantastic job with the shading and the lighting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my god, that's serious!! You have an amazing talent for nail art, seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful, you're so creative hun! :D

    Aysh xox

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...