Wednesday 4 April 2012

Blue nails for World Autism Awareness Day

April 2nd was World Autism Awareness Day.
I wrote this post especially for that day however my card reader decided to die on me, leaving me once again with no photos!
I went out this morning a bought a new one and decided as it's a cause so close to my heart the post is better late than never so here it is.

I have a sister who is three years older than me. She has a type of Autism called Asperger Syndrome.
She is a wonderful person and an amazingly loving Auntie to my two children.
Growing up we shared a bedroom. Not exactly ideal for the average siblings but for me and my sister it was particularly difficult for so many reasons I'm not even going to go into on here. But the worst part of sharing a room was listening to her cry herself to sleep at night from the bullying she endured at school for being different. No one understood her. They thought she was 'weird' because she preferred to be alone and didn't interact with others the 'right' way. Teachers had so little knowledge of Asperger they didn't know how to deal with it, but they tried I have to give them that much.

My sister is much happier these days, she has learnt to cope better in social situations and has a good circle of friends who have all accepted who she is beautifully, they don't judge her and they do whatever they can to help her. Like I said she is such a loving Auntie, and she has a brilliant mind. I am constantly in awe of how quickly she can do mental arithmetic (something I am incredibly dire at!) and her memory for facts and dates is astounding!

I love my sister.

To show my support for World Autism Awareness Day I painted my nails blue to represent Light It Up Blue.

"Light It Up Blue, in its third year, is a unique global initiative to help raise awareness about the growing public health concern that is autism. Iconic landmarks around the world will light up blue to show their support."




I was going to do some nail art too but decided this alone was so beautiful.
I used Models Own Indian Ocean which is one of the new spring beetle juice shades they have recently released, I just put one coat over the top of Barry M Blue Moon, as they are both very sheer.
I'll do a more detailed post on these nails later with more photos for you.

A x






1 comment:

  1. What a pity children can be so cruel. I'm so sorry your sister had such a rough time at school, but glad she is happier now <3 What a lovely lady she sounds! Lovely idea, wonderful cause, beautiful nails! xx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...